Sunday, October 20, 2013

TEN – Call to Artists – Day 10 – Part A

 

IMG_1322

Day 10  for the TEN art challenge for Creative Studios https://www.facebook.com/elblockcreative

I decide the red cardstock would make a nice compliment to the etched metal plate and weathered wood of the base.

 

IMG_1323

Time to bend the metal plate to conform to the glass paperweight and wooden base.

Safety Tip:  It would be wise to wear protective foot gear rather than sandals for this step.

My husband gave me these two steel plates to use as a tool to bend metal. I simply place the brass between the two plates. Then use some clamps to help hold in place.

 

IMG_1324

Next bend the brass down using my hands. This is 28 gauge brass so it bends rather easily.

 

IMG_1326

I end up bending the rest of the brass in the kitchen over the counter so that I have more room to work. My art always tend to spill over into the kitchen/dining area.

 

IMG_1328

Checking the fit over the glass paperweight.

 

IMG_1329

Pencil marks for next set of bends.

 

IMG_1331

A little maneuvering and the bends are working.

 

IMG_1332

Two sets of bends done!

 

IMG_1333

Another check for fit.

 

IMG_1334

I use the original pattern template to help me figure out the opening for the glass paperweight.

 

IMG_1336

It fits!

 

IMG_1344

I tacked the metal in place and then drew around the brass with a pencil to mark my cutting lines for the red cardstock. I cut the cardstock with an craft knife.

 

IMG_1345

First layer with inspirational magazine page.

Notice the tripod over the fire in the magazine image, that fits into the niche, on the lower left side…

 

IMG_1346

…I cut a little opening to peek through.

Second layer, the red cardstock. ( I forgot to show the “Magic of Mind” title and descriptive text in the first layer picture. Too late now)!

 

IMG_1347

Third layer mica sheets to protect the text and opening.

Post for TEN – Call to Artists – Day 10 – Part B coming soon!

No comments: